Thursday, September 13, 2012


When in Florida
Butterfly World

     Recently my mother took me on a cruise to the Bahamas. This included four nights in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, two nights on the Bahamas Celebration cruise ship, and two nights on Grand Bahama Island. When checking into our hotel in Florida, we picked up some coupons/advertisements in the lobby, and when in our room for the night, we looked through the small cards to plan our stay and visits. Although Butterfly World was a little expensive for our budget, I just had to go, and so my mom went with me just to quell my excitement at the thought of such a place.

Their site is great! Check it out here: http://butterflyworld.com/ (copy and paste this address into the long white bar at the top of your computer screen).

     I am a little "into" butterflies, I must admit, but an awesome array of butterflies is not the only thing Butterfly World has to offer. Butterfly World offers learning experiences for growing children, of course an amazing selection of butterflies to admire, a quite wonderful set-up to explore, a couple aviaries for bird enthusiasts, a couple cafes for those who wish to spend more than a few hours in Butterfly World, a butterfly museum and bug zoo, a place to feed lorikeets (for an extra dollar), and an array of greenery for gardeners and those interested in plants and trees. 


The guide map you get to aide in exploring Butterfly World.

     I have to admit that we had some trouble finding the building, even when we eventually ended up in the parking lot, but there was construction at the entrance my iPhone tried to direct us into, and the people we stopped to ask directions from were very kind and helpful (though the crime rate, according to the internet, is pretty bad in Fort Lauderdale, so be careful who you're asking). The admission price, too, is a little pricey, but I thought it was totally worth it and I will definitely revisit if and when I ever return to Florida, and the money is going to the survival of butterflies, which may be disappearing due to the changes humans are putting on the earth. 


The sign at the entrance may seem a little over the top, but I was not disappointed in the least by my visit.

     When planning to visit Butterfly World, I advise you to have a couple extra dollars with you, to go early (they open at 9am) so you have the most time to get your money's worth, to wear comfortable clothes and shoes (we went at Florida's hottest time of the year and it was quite humid especially in the "Tropical Rain Forest" section), and to bring a camera especially if you like photography. Altogether I spent about $100 here, but most of that is because I just loved it so much and wanted things to take with me. I highly recommend the "Official Guide" (for an extra dollar) for one-time visitors and returning visitors, since it allows you to reflect on your experience and what you saw, and it provides the information you need for identification and understanding everything at Butterfly World. 



     I highly recommend Butterfly World no matter your age, how long you are in Florida, or how far away it is for you. I know I sound like I'm just praising, but I really did love this place and all they had to offer me as a tourist, a wildlife enthusiast, a butterfly lover, and a person. 

If you have any questions or concerns about this post or anything I have written here, email me or leave a comment and I will address the issue to the best of my ability. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment